As it prepares to scrap its fleet of geostationary satellites, NASA last month selected six American companies to provide SATCOM (Satellite Communications) services. The latter will have to develop and demonstrate the capabilities of space communications around the Earth that could support the agency’s future missions.
For more than a year, d NASA Investigating the possibility of using commercial SATCOM services Geostationary operation. A winning strategy that will allow it to devote more time and resources to scientific missions and deep space exploration.
Specifically, the Communication Services Project (CSP) has decided to offer injections for its sponsored contract. 278.5 million. And that, over the course of five years of research and demonstration. For their part, the selected companies will have to invest more than 1.5 1.5 billion.
Thus, NASA aims to demonstrate the effectiveness of SATCOM services provided by commercial companies. And develop an acquisition strategy to get rid of government-owned and managed systems.
To do this, the company will allow 6 selected companies to develop their own communication solutions and Show in space until 2025. This is to prove that their solution guarantees reliable and profitable operation. While providing the possibility of new high-speed, high-capacity two-way communication.
SATCOM Network: Facilities for NASA and business
For Eli Nafah, CSP project manager at NASA’s Glenn Research Center, this collaboration with SATCOM service providers could enable NASA to engage the industry in demonstrating end-to-end capabilities for operational services.
Ultimately, exposure to space not only reduces risk but also develops multiple capabilities. But to provide Operational concept And verifies the performance required for the plan, as well as the acquisition models Future commercial services As part of the NASA mission.
For selected companies, they will be able to reduce their costs, optimize their flexibility and Improve their performance In various assignments.
In short, this collaboration with SATCOM service providers will enable them to develop solutions that will ultimately meet the agency’s future mission requirements. And this, in turn, provides companies with sufficient support to develop their economic models.
Who are the 6 selected SATCOM service providers?
The companies selected by the organization are:
- Inmarsat Government Inc. It provides a display Commercial L-band radio frequency relay network In geostationary orbit. This is to provide low throughput SATCOM service. He received 28.6 million
- Government Kuiper Solutions (KGS) LLC. He is a show Lower Earth Orbit Relay Commercial Optical Network. Millions? Provide high and low speed SATCOM service. He was awarded 67 million.
- SES is the official solution. It offers a demonstration of its power Commercial C-band radio frequency relay network In geostationary orbit and in the middle earth orbit in the Ka band. This is within the framework of high and low speed SATCOM services. He received .9 28.96 million
- SpaceX which offers a display Lower Earth Orbit Relay Commercial Optical Network For high-speed SATCOM services. He was awarded 69.95 million.
- Telesat US which offers display Commercial C-band radio frequency relay network Ka band in geostationary orbit and low earth orbit. This is to offer high and low speed communication services. He was awarded 30.65 million.
- Viasat Incorporated which will display a Commercial Ka-band radio frequency relay network In geostationary orbit. Provide high and low speed communication services. He received 53.3 million.