How do SME employees see the future of their jobs in the face of automation?

Software Advice, a consulting, research and user feedback service on software applications for businesses, surveyed 1,000 French people aged 18 to 65, a full-time part-time employee at less than 250 companies, last November. This survey focuses on the prospect of accelerating the adoption of digital tools in the professional world and their expectations regarding the automation of tasks.

Artificial intelligence is revolutionizing the world of work: thanks to this, robotization and automation occupy an increasingly important place among companies. If there is a possibility of eliminating certain tasks related to repetitive tasks, then human dependent machines will re-emerge. This survey shows that the employees of SMEs in question are rather optimistic about the digital transformation of their company but they expect that it will be trained in new technology.

53% of survey respondents believe that their current jobs may change significantly this decade, due to task automation tools, and are highly divided in terms of job prospects. For 16% of them, there will be more job opportunities for automation, 32% think there will be more, 32% think less and 20% no opinion.

A rather optimistic, even enthusiastic vision of the future of work

64% of employees surveyed believe that the epidemic has accelerated the use of digital tools in their company: tools for collaboration and facilitation of organization and communication between remote team, project management or task force tools.

38% of respondents said they were optimistic, 13% enthusiastic about the impact of adopting these digital tools, real or expected, but 12% said they were anxious and 10% nervous.

Employees expect digital training from their company

77% of respondents believe that their training in new digital technology depends on their employer, where 13% see no meaning in it, 10% did not answer this question.

Although 62.5% of respondents said they agree that their employer helps them “Understand and improve their knowledge of the latest technology relevant to the sector of their activity.” The remaining 37.5% disagree with this statement.

53% want to learn new digital skills in their job related to data analysis, computer programming, Machine learning Or artificial intelligence, for example. On the other hand, 32% believe that their current knowledge is sufficient and they are not interested in acquiring new knowledge.

Outside of digital, the desire to achieve General work skills AWhatever they are, 42% of responses appear

Face training

Respondents who are taking or wanting to take the training, and who can choose all or part of the answers given, benefit from face-to-face training:

  • Face to face, in a group with a tutor: 41%
  • Online, Private tutorial with a tutor: 32%
  • Online, in a group with a tutor: 26%
  • Online, on an a la carte platform: 22%
  • Face to face private lesson with a tutor: 19%
  • Combination of online and face training: 14%

Face-to-face is undoubtedly desirable because it allows the possibility of using equipment, exercising under the eyes and the speaker’s advice, allowing interactivity, even more so when the employee is not accustomed to group video conferencing.

Lack of time, hindrance in training

In question What are the barriers to learning new skills, especially digital skills? ARespondents citing potential barriers to acquiring new digital skills cited lack of time (49%), rigid schedule (31%), limited funding of their company, lack of a training program (25%), lack of energy (23%), 16%. Fear of being disqualified, 12% not being able to assimilate content in a short time. On the other hand, it ensures that they do not face any obstacles.

This survey shows that automation is essential for companies looking to win the competition and optimize their productivity, with employees ready to adapt to digital transformation, for their part.

Leave a Comment