Noémie and Raphaël took care of their two- and one-week-old daughters, removed them. They believe the decision was made because of their choice to give birth at home, with child protection services putting children at risk for medical follow-up.
“Do we deserve to lose our daughters because I chose an ANA (unsolicited delivery, editor’s note) that was so nice?” This question has been haunting Nomi and Raphael for almost a week now. The couple’s custody of their two daughters has been lifted, with the youngest being born in early June at their home without medical assistance. One reason that would be fair, according to parents, is this placement in the nursery.
In a story published on social networks, the couple looked back on it last week. Their youngest daughter, Lou Ile-et-Villain, was born in their home. Already the parents of a two-year-old girl, they have opted for a non-medical delivery.
“It was fantastic, fast, painless, finally here, the dream we’ve been waiting for 9 months,” Nomi wrote on Instagram.
Lack of medical certificate
The first setback in this case is when it comes to declaring a newborn a civil status. Raphael, Father, presents himself at the Town Hall on Tuesday, June 7th. “The lady in the town hall is terrified”, reassure the parents when the latter finds out that the birth took place at home.
The officer will then ask for a medical certificate from a doctor or midwife to justify the birth of the little girl Lore. The father has only one affidavit that he was present at the time of delivery. Insufficient under the law.
“The purpose of the medical certificate is twofold. First, to ensure the child’s well-being (the child must be born ‘alive and well’) but to ensure that the mother indicated in the declaration has delivered well. This is not a child’s ‘theft’ or surrogacy”, a press release said. In the notification, the inner town hall is explained
“The Civil Status Service thus complies with the regulations by registering births in a timely manner, without requesting documents not provided by the regulations,” the town hall concluded.
The next day, the father again presented himself at the town hall service with his wife and baby. The civil registrar was then able to verify that the child was alive, in an adequate condition, in the absence of a medical certificate, to write the birth certificate of the next. The official, however, urged parents to see their newborn through a doctor, “without this advice a favorable echo can be found in the father”, again Town Hall wrote.
“Under this condition, in view of the risk to the health of the child, the civil registrar, in accordance with the regulations for each birth, informs about the specific circumstances and the absence of treatment, sends the birth to the PMI. Examination”, continued the municipality.
Child protection services have been alerted
On Thursday, June 9, the PMI (Child and Maternal Protection) service contacted the couple. They ask them various questions, about birth, childbirth, children.
“They were so insistent that we went to the maternity ward this morning to have our daughter checked out by a pediatrician,” Lure’s parents wrote on Instagram, assuring the doctor that everything was fine.
However, the latter tells them that a mother and child protection member will visit them at their home. According to the story of Nomi and Raphael, the next day, “three police cars” parked in front of their house. They enter the pavilion and tell them that “there is a suspicion of abuse”.
“I had no choice but to cooperate,” Naomi said.
The mother of the family thus listed, according to her, the reasons given by Gendarmes for the placement: the doctor did not judge the child for good health, the civil status was declared on the basis of an affidavit. , Parents refuse to open their doors for a home-born and PMI member.
Because according to “insulting” parents who condemn “a huge injustice”.
An “emergency” report
Contacting BFMTV.com, the Ille-et-Vilaine division, which manages child protection services, explains that the PMI “has identified risk factors for the health and medical follow-up of two children in a Vitrian family”. The service then issued an emergency report to Renaissance’s public prosecutor. The prosecution has ordered the temporary employment of two children with Childhood Social Assistance (ASE).
According to our information, the prosecution relies on material sent by child protection services, such as a medical certificate, issued on Friday, June 10, after consultation with a pediatrician, and social services analysis of the two children.
Renaissance Prosecutor Philip Astrak explained, “The reasons for this placement are not related to being born at home.”
A judge has been appointed to assess the situation and decide whether to retain the two children. The decision will be made at the hearing, where the parents will be present.