A newly released video of a Connecticut mother accused of deliberately setting fire to her 6-year-old neighbor seeks to punish the burnt boy’s family against their claims.
Laura Giacobe, in an interview with The Post on Tuesday, called on police to arrest little Dominic Crankle’s mother for lying about the April incident and for keeping her son “in hell.”
“Her son was able to go to Yankee Stadium when my child sat inside in fear because of all the statements made against him,” said Giacobe, 45, from his home in Bridgeport.
“I want to arrest him because I don’t think it’s fair. It’s a disgrace to the character, “Giacobe continued.” He slandered my family. He gave my son into hell. He threw me into hell. I want to arrest him for lying.
Crankle’s family claimed that Dominic suffered second- and third-degree burns after being hit by an 8-year-old bully while playing in his garden at Bridgeport on April 24.
But a video released Friday by the Giakobe family shows four children, including Dominic, lighting a fire and kicking a burning football ball together in the garden.
Nothing in the video shows the other boys noticing Dominic, who caught fire after kicking or kicking a plastic cup filled with burning petrol.
The incident sparked outrage in the community and sparked a wave of support for the injured child, who has been released from hospital.
The mayor of Bridgeport, first responders and dozens of community members staged a parade outside the hospital where Dominic was recovering and an online fundraiser raised about $ 600,000 for his family.
Giacobe said Dominic’s mother, Maria Rua, her former neighbor, her son Stefano, 8, and Lorenzo, 11, were among the children to be seen on the day of the incident.
“I saw Maria in the sink wiping the baby’s face with a washcloth and wiping the skin off his face. I shouted at him that he had to go to the tub because his legs were on fire and he was not aware of it, “said Giacobe as he returned home from shopping.
“Absolutely [she was] “The eight-year-old boy below took the petrol, poured it on my child and set him on fire,” police said in a phone call. These are his words.
Crankles said Giacobo’s son, Stefano Patrol, threw a ball, ignited it and then threw it in Dominic’s face in a violent act that shook their town and prompted an investigating police woman.
But Giacobe claims that Rua’s story is nothing more than fiction, saying surveillance footage showed children playing peacefully “all day” to prove what happened. A horrific accident, not a deliberate attack.
“[They were] Playing, cycling… there was no bullying with the kids, “the mother insisted, adding that” my child, Stefano Giakobe, is not bullying. “
Rua did not immediately comment on Tuesday.
The footage shows children playing with petrol and one of them setting fire to a football. In the clip, Dominic is seen kicking the ball and then wiping the gasoline off his clothes.
“She is [then] A cup of gas stunned me, “said Giacobe. “The gas went up to his feet … it went to his face because there was smoke in his mouth.”
Instead of leaving Dominic in distress, as they were accused, Giacobe said he rushed to his 11-year-old’s aid and prevented the burn from getting worse.
“[Lorenzo] He started firing with his bare hands, otherwise he would have run upstairs with fire in his mouth. [Rua] It never came down, ”said the troubled woman.
“Those kids should have been seen,” Ruar accused Giacobe. “I trusted him to see these kids.”
The heartbroken mother said she knew her sons were innocent, but police told her to keep the video secret until their investigation was completed.
The Bridgeport Police Department released a statement on June 10 stating that there was no evidence that Dominic had been molested or targeted by other children.
The statement said, “There is nothing in the video that shows a child intentionally hitting another.”
Giacobe said he released the video to the media to prove his son’s innocence.
“I don’t want it to stay with him forever,” he said. “We want to live a normal life. Now we do not have a normal life.
After the incident, Giacobe said his family had received multiple death threats and police were parked outside his home for three weeks because of the risk.
“Do you know what it’s like to get out of your house and you don’t know what’s going to happen at any given moment?” He asked.
“[Stefano] Sorry. The kids were saying ‘Don’t light my fire, we can’t play with you’ … He was very upset, very emotional. He wanted to know why he was being harassed.
“Meanwhile, [Rua’s] Make her GoFundMe and wish list from the false claims she posted.
A spokesman for the Bridgeport Police Department declined to say whether anyone would face charges for making false statements.
A GoFundMe representative said the fundraiser was “subject to GoFundMe’s Terms of Service at this time.”
“Our thoughts are with Dominic because he’s going to recover,” said Kelsey Gant, GoFundMe spokeswoman and North East Regional Manager.
“Our platform is supported by the GoFundMe Giving Guarantee, which protects donors and their generosity. If any donors wish to request a refund, we will process it for them.
“It’s important to remember that our team of trust and security experts actively monitors our platform for any type of abuse, investigates any reported issues and works with law enforcement agencies in all investigations deemed necessary.”
Giakobe fundraiser, apparently made up of false pretenses, “sick”.
“Maria, give back the money to those who have very sick children. Give in the burn unit. I mean, enough is enough! ” Giakob cursed.
“She lied. It was a lie. She used it … She used her child to get that money.”