“It was great to be true … I thought the cool nights were behind us, but here we are going again. How long will it last?” We can only sympathize with this mom. Baby was finally asleep and she thought she had fixed him Sleep habits. But here’s when those kids sleep, we can’t talk about the long calm river. A child can go through different stages and many elements can disrupt his sleep. To avoid desperation in situations that seem like flashbacks, the ideal is to understand how your sleep works. In this new episode of the “Au dodo” podcast, we’re going to try to explain to you what our expert Kelly Champinot, the sleep instructor, and the founder of Bébé & Confidences have to say. He will also give you keys to help the whole family sleep better!
What is sleep regression?
A Sleep regression Sleep deprivation, most of the time brutal. This is especially manifested by frequent nocturnal awakenings or bedtime periods that last forever, Prevention of falling asleep Or even Complex sleep. These moments of “regression” are usually associated with the child’s development and often occur when the child acquires a new skill such as sitting, walking or talking. These main steps mobilize a lot of resources at home, which can change the quality of his sleep. Our expert Kelly Champinot reassures our expert Kelly Champinot: “You should not be alarmed by this, it is quite common. Even as a parent it may seem difficult, but know that what is gained in sleep is never lost.” Does. As a parent, you can identify them by noticing that your normal bedtime routine no longer works, for example.
A change in the environment, during the holidays or a move, for example, can interfere with his sleep. A sick child may also experience a regression phase. It can also come from the period of adaptation to the cr্রেche, returning to the verse after the holidays … In short, all the ups and downs of a child’s life can affect his sleep. At night, children revive their emotions, positive and negative, and their day to disrupt their sleep. Note that itSleep regression lasts an average of 5 to 10 days, with a maximum of 15 days.
What are the main times of sleep regression in children?
In the episode, Kelly Champinot thus identifies the 5 main stages of regression. Be aware that a child may live a little more intensely than others, not at all or at other times related to personal ups and downs as we mentioned above. Moreover, a child who falls asleep early, who sleeps well, may also experience these stages of regression, but never loses the acquired good sleep habits. Here are the main times of regression:
– When the baby is 4 months old: At this age, a hormonal change takes place. The baby’s sleep structure changes: he or she sleeps restlessly from the first month and now sleeps slowly, then falls asleep and then goes into a REM sleep phase. This stage coincides with a stage of sensory development: the child realizes the bond that unites him with his parents.
– In 7 to 9 months : During this period, the child’s separation anxiety begins. He gained more autonomy in his movements and saw his first teeth.
– For the baby’s first birthday, about 12 months : The baby’s first steps often occur around this age, but children are particularly prone to significant emotional and cognitive development.
– 18 months : The child develops his language and his personality. It’s a difficult time for her, who struggles to cope with her separation worries, which often leads to crying at bedtime when you leave the house.
– Finally, about 2/3 year old Of the child : Terrible two-set stage, the child asserts himself, says no, becomes more matched.